Planning land use and transportation together helps us build better communities that are more connected, healthy, vibrant, and prosperous. Land-use plans for cities and the County of Santa Barbara have a significant impact on travel and transportation needs in the region. The way land is used affects our life in many ways, including:
- How far we travel to reach our jobs or schools.
- What types of services and opportunities we can easily access in our communities.
- Where we can find safe, stable, and affordable housing.
- How goods such as food or medicine are transported.
- How much we need to drive and the types of transportation options that we can conveniently use.
Each city and county government must develop and regularly update their land-use plans. Local land-use plans determine where houses, apartments, offices, commercial spaces, and other types of new development can be built. Connected 2050 provides a regional vision that will help local governments make land-use decisions that help meet important community needs and reduce GHG emissions.